Big hats, big parties and bourbon – just a few of my favorite traditions of the Kentucky Derby. In the past I’ve made my way to Louisville’s legendary Churchill Downs to watch. This year, during the 144th annual Kentucky Derby, I’ll be watching from the comfort of my couch and serving two cocktails: the great horse race’s iconic Mint Julep and a lighter spirit, the Dixie Vodka’s Clubhouse Cooler.
I think this riff on the iconic Arnold Palmer embraces the pomp, circumstance and southern tradition of the weekend and the “greatest two minutes in sports”. Bring on the Dixie Mint Vodka, sweet iced tea and tangy lemonade.
The Clubhouse Cooler
*the following is a batched recipe intended for punch-style serving
- 1 bottle Dixie Mint Vodka Best Cocktail for the Kentucky Derby
- 4 cups of lemonade Best Cocktail for the Kentucky Derby
- 4 cups water Best Cocktail for the Kentucky Derby
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large tea bags (or 12 individual) for iced tea (or purchase your choice of pre-made sweet or unsweet tea)
- Fresh mint sprigs
- 8 lemon slices Best Cocktail for the Kentucky Derby
Bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Remove from the heat and add in tea bags. Let tea bags steep for 5 minutes then remove. Stir in one cup of sugar until dissolved. Pour tea, lemonade, and mint vodka into preferred punch serving bowl. Add additional 3 quarts of water and stir together. Muddle handful of mint leaves in a separate bowl and add to punch ingredients. Cover and chill until cool.
Fill mason jars with ice and pour in tea. Garnish with mint sprig and lemon – or really any fruit slice. Sit back and enjoy!