My summer of lemon obsession continues with the very, very best lemon snaps cookie recipe EVER! Lemon snaps, summer’s answer to my cold weather ginger snaps, are crispy on the outside and a teeny tiny bit chewy in the middle with a tart flavor that make your mouth pucker just a tiny bit. Ahhhhh.
Since they are made of fruit, and fruit is healthy, I always have two or three cookies with breakfast. After all, if breakfast is the most important meal of the day it should definitely include cookies, right? RIGHT! Ergo, I make a HUGE batch at a time, and freeze half for later (as in, like a week late. Whoops.) That way, I’m never more than a thaw and a bake away from a lemon cookie start to my day. #blessed
Love lemon as much as I do? MAKE THIS! Go nuts! Better yet…go lemons.
The Best Lemon Snaps Cookie Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Additional sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, milk and extracts. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Shape into 1-in. balls or drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar.
- Bake at 400° for 9-11 minutes or until edges are lightly browned – but don’t get crazy. These beauties will crisp all on their own, so a VERY light brown will do it. Immediately remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 6-1/2 dozen.