I’m going through a serious pillow phase right now. I can literally shop for pillows online and in-store for HOURS. I’m obsessed. Last month it was lamps, this month it’s pillows. Along this journey I’ve uncovered a bunch of really cool custom pillow stores – but I wanted to share one in particular with you that really struck my fancy – plus share a couple tips on how to shop for custom pillows online.
I read about Heloise, the owner of Mintwood Home, on The Everygirl, and I LOVED her story. I hopped on over to her custom pillow site (she also has other great products available) and had a blast bepoppin around styling pillows for just about every room in my house. SO fun.
I emailed Heloise and asked for a couple fabric samples, and decided on two 20×20 Bedrock Cobalt couch cushions and two 18×18 Cap Deluca Orkid couch cushions. Jury is still out of these guys are going to live side by side or on coordinating pieces – but I think they are super fun together. I’m also really, really close to pulling the trigger on this beaut.
Heloise also offered a couple tips on what to look for when shopping for pillows! Her tips, my words (as I’m sure you can tell.) Enjoy!
- Size – Choose dimensions that work for your space. Pillows are not one size fits all – and it’s important to measure, measure, measure!
- Trim – You have fun options here (believe it or not.) Maybe you’re a traditional self-welt kind of lady, or perhaps you swing a little modern and swoon over a knife edge. Either way, don’t ignore the edges.
- Insert – Just like a bad pair of shoes can ruin an outfit, a bad pillow insert can make an amazing cover mediocre. No bueno. I prefer a hypoallergenic faux-down insert, but explore the options. Pay close attention to the weight of the filler. If you can try them out (and you aren’t ordering online) give them a chop and see if it jives with you.
- Fabrication – NO EXPOSED ZIPPERS (unless that’s part of the look.) That’s a hard and fast rule for me. I hate, hate zippers on pillows – but you do you. You know what…NO. If zippers on pillows don’t bug you I might recommend some soul searching here. Mmmkay? An envelope closure can also be a nice touch.
- Fabric – This one seems like a no brainer, right? The reason I was drawn to Mintwood is because they use fabrics typically only available to designers. I think this is key. Plus, they look unique – because they are custom! I love Target and Pottery Barn, but sometimes you want a piece that no one else has. I think this is especially true with pillows. Go out on a limb – give a trend a try – these are a low investment that is easily swapped out as our whims change with the season.
If you love Mintwood Home as much as I do why not get a discount? Use Peachtree15 at checkout for, you guessed it, 15% off on your order.