There are many opportunities for Atlantans to honor and thank those who have served or are currently serving our country on Veterans Day. Below are just a few examples, please let us know what we are missing. Thank you to those who serve and have served (and a special thanks to my two brave grandfathers who served) – we are grateful for everything you do!
Join DAV (Disabled American Veterans) to honor our nation’s heroes at the DAV 5K
On Saturday, November 14, DAV (Disabled American Veterans) will hold its first Atlanta-based DAV 5K at 8:30 a.m. at Piedmont Park. Atlanta will be joining thousands in cities across the country who are participating in DAV 5K races to salute veterans in a meaningful way this Veterans Day. Participants can run, walk, roll their wheelchair (veterans only) or ride a motorcycle on the 5K route, which will start and end in Atlanta’s historic Piedmont Park. The race is open to individual participants and teams who wish to participate as a group. For more information, visit www.DAV5K.org.
I had the opportunity to interview DAV Race Manager, Laura Rusche, about the Atlanta race, and the DAV organization. Please join us in supporting this great cause – you can run, walk, roll, or ride your motorcycle to thank those who served and raise awareness of the issues our veterans face everyday. The DAV 5K raises funds to ensure our injured veterans are not alone on their road to recovery.
Peachtree Roadies: Tell me about the DAV 5K debut?
Laura Rusche: The DAV 5K is a run, walk, roll and motorcycle ride to bring the local community together to thank those who served and raise awareness of the issues our veterans and their families face every day. About 30% of our DAV 5K participants are veterans representing each branch and all eras of service.
PR: Why is Atlanta a great fit for your organization and this race?
LR: DAV is grateful for the partnership we’ve established with the veteran-friendly city of Atlanta. The state of Georgia has nearly 700,000 veterans who call it home, and should be very proud to be the home of so many patriotic citizens.
PR: It’s unique that the general public will race alongside veterans, and can run, walk, roll their wheelchair (veterans only) or ride a motorcycle on the 5K course. Why is this important to DAV?
LR: We’re glad to provide opportunities for veterans of different abilities to participate in our event. It is an opportunity for not only veterans, but for the community to come together to invest in the lives of our wounded American heroes who have sacrificed for our freedoms.
PR: You have amazing local partners, like Coach Dan Quinn of the Atlanta Falcons and Clark Howard. Why do you think they chose to be involved?
LR: The DAV 5K thanks those who have courageously sacrificed on our behalf. It is important for veterans to know they are not alone. That’s why there are so many people who want to support the DAV 5K: they’re willing to stand up for veterans and help our ill and injured heroes regain a sense of normalcy in our communities.
PR: Are there any inspirational stories about Veterans or Service Members in Atlanta that made you especially appreciate the people that serve our country?
LR: Yes, every day, veterans tell us how DAV has made a difference in their lives, or in the lives of someone they know. We provide a lifetime of support to veterans and their families. Check out our veteran feature stories online: http://www.dav5k.org/atlanta/veterans/
Ride for a reason and honor those who’ve served our military with a REV, WHITE + BLUE Veterans Day Donation Ride at DEFINE: Atlanta
Looking for another great way to work up a sweat and support our troops? Join DEFINE: Atlanta for a Rev White & Blue ride in honor of Veterans Day today at 12:00 pm with instructor, Alice Fair. A $24 donation for class will go directly towards the Wounded Warrior Project. Sign up here.
Other Atlanta Restaurants supporting giving thanks to veterans and active Mmilitary this Veteran‘s Day:
- Der Biergarten is offering 50% off the tab on Nov 11 to all active and retired military with presentation of military ID.
- Veterans and their guest will receive 20% off the check at HOBNOB during lunch or dinner on November 11.
- Dance the night away at Johnny’s Hideaway, where active and retired military will receive $11 off their bar tab. No minimum spend required. Cheers!
- Ray’s Restaurants is offering a 20% discount for all veterans and active duty military, plus one guest.
- Head to Decatur where Revival will offer 25% off the bill for all current and former service members.
- Saltwood Charcuterie & Bar will be offering 25% off for active military and veterans plus one guest on Veteran’s Day. Must show military ID or proof of service to redeem.
- Active and retired military can snag a complimentary appetizer at Smokebelly BBQ and The Big Ketch. Valid with purchase of an entrée and presentation of military ID.
- Grab some FlexMex food at Tin Lizzy’s Cantina, where all veterans will receive 50% off their food on Veteran’s Day.
- White Oak Pastures in Bluffton, GA is offering a 15% discount for purchases made by veterans and active military.
- Veterans and active military can get 50% off their meal with their family at Willy’s Mexicana Grill. Must show military ID to redeem.